Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Traveling

June 4th 2014

Today was an exhausting day.  We flew out of Montreal at 10.45 pm.  We then arrived in Paris, just to take a plane to Lyon and then another plane to Casablanca, Morocco.  Throughout all of the plane rides, I was feeling nauseous, tired beyond belief, and cranky.  I felt this sense of dread for having decided to leave for so long. There is something about traveling.  It is exhausting and can make you feel insane no matter how amazing your destination will be and no matter how much fun you will have.  After this and my first days of Ghana, I will never expect to be happy about leaving home from the get-go.  I will always cry within the first 48 hours of leaving.  Take away all my comforts and I will freak out, give me back sleep and food and I will be fine.  In addition, it really does take a few days to get used to being across the ocean in an entire new world.  It takes my body a few days to recover and to get acclimated.
On the opposite side, this trip was much easier for me because I wasn't alone or in charge of the details.  I went with a friend (Sam) whose husband (Anass) is from Morocco.  Anass was leading the way and taking care of everything so I just had to go with the flow.  I feel more at ease this time around because I am not such an outsider trying to figure everything out, there are people explaining everything to me and helping me adjust.


No comments:

Post a Comment